Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Am What I Am


I bought a great dress the other day. It was on sale, then on sale, and then on sale. Sounds like it was something that should have been thrown out, but honestly it's a great dress -- fantastic drape, comfortable fabric, slimming fit and exposed zippers on the sleeves to give the dress a little edge. Honestly, it's perfect. I would show you a picture or share a link but as I said it was on clearance -- there is no evidence of it. So then why waste your time talking about? The dress has a "but". The dress is short. In fact, it's About 4 to 5 inches above my knee. And since I am all leg, I find myself walking a tight rope between hip and hooker chic.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but at the end of the day the dress is shorter than what I am comfortable with. I'm a little conservative but I also have "see through," pasty white legs. Worst of all, the hereditary varicose veins are starting to rear their ugly heads. Typically I just stay away from short dresses, or I buy them in the winter when I can cover up my veins with a great pair of tights.

I meet so many women that just aren't happy with a particular part of their body. I hear it all: "my arms are too fat," my "butt is too big," my thighs are chunky," "my boobs are too busty"...the list goes on. The irony is that when I look at these women and there "problem areas", I can objectively say that those "areas" don't look bad at all! In fact, they look great and should be show to the world. We all have our issues but should those issues really rule what we can or can not wear. Why should we prisoners to our figures. Instead, we should embrace what we have and enjoy what the world of fashion has given us. My legs aren't one big vein...sure the coloring could be darker and more even, but should I turn my back on short dresses forever?

We have to accept that we are what we are. And truthfully, what we are is beautiful. We come in all sizes and shapes for a reason. Feel empowered by your body and what you have been blessed with.

The moral of the story is: I am keeping the short black dress.

No comments: