Sunday, April 5, 2009

Who Are You Dressing For?

I think it's safe to say, women dress for women. If we were dressing for men, we would just be naked. Ha! Seriously though, who else is going to notice things like your cocktail ring, the lace detail on your dress, the sole of your heel (viva christian louboutin) or the fact that your "ensemble" hit all of this seasons trends? Who you ask, yup...it's the girls you are going to see at tonight's dinner party! And it doesn't just stop at your clothes, the same girls will also notice whether your skin looks like its glowing or if its dry and patchy. Guys on the other hand don't care if your sexy sandals are Miu Miu or Payless.

Having said all that, I don't think women are so shallow as to ONLY dress for the reaction of other women. I'd like to think that we buy and wear what we love, and what we feel is true to our personal sense of style -- at least that's how it should be. BUT, think about it. Why do we spend so much time thinking, prepping, coordinating outfits? If it's really just about pleasing ourselves then who cares if we wear the same outfit 2 days in a row?

Whether someone else notices or not, there is no denying that adrenaline rush you get when YOU know you look your best (if someone notices, all the better)! There is definitely a link between looking good and feeling good. I walk taller and "feel" prettier when I wear something that I'm excited about. The excitement may come from color, fabric, detail, fit. AND just because I work with designer contemporary clothing doesn't mean it's about the "label". I get that same rush knowing I rocked Banana Republic as I do from wearing Malene Birger. So, whether you do it for yourself or for the "girls", look your best!

No comments: