Monday, December 7, 2009

Old is Gold

Yesterday was the 1st sunday of the month. For many of you, the 1st sunday of the month is no different than the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. For me it's a day that usually involves finding unique treasures at the Alameda Antique Fair. I've mentioned the fair before -- the more sundays I attend, the more things I buy, the more I realize what an amazing opportunity it is to find nuggets of history that have modern day appeal. Of course you have to have an appreciation for antiques or things that look antique, but there is something there for everyone.




It's easy to hop on online or to step into a department store to pick up clothing and accessories, but it's equally as easy, and at times far less expensive, to stumble on statement pieces that can add volumes to your wardrobe. Yesterday's excursion at the fair was undoubtedly my most favorite. I found little must have gems at almost every booth. What I fell in love with the most was my 1940's clutch -- it's in pristine condition and is equipped with a powder compact and lipstick case. I found equally beautiful earrings, brooches and necklaces that would add the perfect finishing touch to a holiday dress or skinny jeans and a tunic.

Yes, one man's junk is another man's treasure but trust me...there are more treasures than junk. You have to be patient and able to enjoy the rush of stuffing your mouth with kettle korn while bargaining down the price of a 100 year old frame from $75 to $60 (yes, I bought the frame and it's GORGEOUS).

My home and my closet have both been the benefactors of my antique fair escapades....yours could be too!

No comments: